Okay, so it’s finals week at CCM and I’ve pretty much been alternating between writing essays and studying for tests. Obviously this means I can’t spend my time writing reviews and playing video games, so that sucks.
That said, I don’t want to leave you with nothing at all, so here’s some quick thoughts on what I’m playing right now, and will eventually get full reviews:
- If you loved Far Cry 3, then you will love Far Cry 4. If you hated Far Cry 3 you will hate Far Cry 4. Its been slightly improved game play wise, but overall isn’t super different.
- Titanfall is one of the best competitive shooters I’ve played in a long time, if a little lacking on content.
- Call of Duty: Advance Warfare is a massive improvement over Ghosts. I’ve only played the single player so far, but it was pretty fun and had a lot of neat things going for it.
- Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions is just as good as, if not better than, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2. That’s saying a lot.
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 somehow takes everything The Amazing Spider-Man did right and does it worse.
- Final Exam is a by-the-numbers 2D brawler that can be fun in limited spurts or if you take advantage of the co-op, but is just a very average game overall.
- LocoCycle can be laugh-out-loud funny, but requires being bored out of your mind to get to these parts.
- Final Horizon is a pretty decent tower defense game, though it’s overwhelmingly easy and every level is only 1-3 minutes long.
- The Hungry Hoard kind of reminds me of Katamari Damacy only featuring zombies instead. And also not as good.
- Age of Zombies is a crummy twin stick shooter that starts off really easy and gets really difficult for no reason, and also features some of the most atrociously awful writing I’ve ever seen in a game.
- Words for Evil is an interesting mash up between RPGs and spelling games, but it’s too easy to cheat the system.
Hopefully in the coming weeks I’ll have reviews up for the majority of these games.